Wednesday 21 January 2009

Pay and dismay


As if it wasn't bad enough that Lichfield's parking charges have become nothing short of farcical, the closure of Tesco has added to the woe.

The loss of the hundreds of spaces which, rightly or wrongly, were used by many to pop into the city centre has made an already bad situation far, far worse.

The chain of decisions surrounding car parking leaves a lot to be desired. At a time when Lichfield is joining many other commercial centres in losing key shopfronts such as Woolworths, that the decision-makers do their utmost to drive shoppers away from their key areas to out-of-town sites where parking is free.

Firstly, the decision was taken to hike parking prices and install machines which I, and many others I've spoken to, have put money into only to see no ticket delivered. There's even one car park (the lower level of the one opposite Poundland) which charges more on a Saturday than it does during the week! How is this meant to attract greater footfall into area in desperate need of an increased audience? No, I don't know either.

So with Tesco closing until the Autumn meaning less available spaces and those that are left coming at a premium, is it any wonder why casual shoppers are thinking that Lichfield just isn't worth it?

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I read your blog with interest.

    I'm a reporter covering Lichfield for the Express & Star and I'm looking at doing an article on parking problems in the city centre.

    It would be good to speak to you further on this.

    If you would like to get in touch I can be reached on 01543 465302 or e-mail lichfield@expressandstar.co.uk

    Many thanks,

    Kerry

    Kerry McDermott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerry,

    I've emailed you (us online types tend to be scared of that handset with numbers). I'm glad to hear you read with interest. Not even I read this stuff with interest, but good for you for trying.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete