Monday 2 February 2009

D.I.Why?

It's Saturday afternoon and the light in your living room has just stopped working. The bulb is changed, the fuse is checked and still nothing. A bit of detective work shows it's the transformer (not the robot in disguise type) that's up the swanny.

Not a problem. Just pop out and buy a new one.

That is, of course, if you can find anywhere in Lichfield to buy one after 12noon on a Saturday. A trip to Tippers seemed my best bet, but sadly the limit of their lighting stock appears to be a bulb.

Undeterred, I attack the Yellow Pages with vigour determined to solve my lighting dilemma. Only problem being that there simply is nowhere in Lichfield to go for such a simple item at this time of the weekend. Ever since Focus sold its soul to Tesco, us DIYers (even us reluctant DIYers) have been left up the loft ladders without someone to tread on the bottom step.

There are rumours of a B&Q opening on Eastern Avenue for a while, but until then it's a trip to Tamworth (shudder) or Burton (even greater shudder) to buy basic supplies.

At what point did Lichfield become some sort of American Civil War outpost where a man on horseback would need to trek for basic supplies?

But worry not Lichfield-folk, those decision-makers charged with driving the development of our shopping options and attracting new business to the area will undoubtedly land us a new budget supermarket while our homes fall to pieces.

In the meantime, I'll sit in the dark and blog via candlelight.

5 comments:

  1. I would have sat in the dark until someone heard my sobbing as they passed my house and took pity on me. DIY is not my forte despite working in Focus back when it was called Do-It-All. I WAS the spotty 16 year old who didn't have a clue and really didn't care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That narrows you down to being one of their entire workforce then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I think I was the most motivated person in the place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live in Longdon and have to head up to B&Q at Stafford now. The other alternative is Homebase at the Orbital Centre.

    ReplyDelete